Monday 29 April 2024

Before you eat

One morning, I woke up to find my neighbor's children drinking garri with salt in the compound.

They saw me and greeted me.

"Uncle Praises good morning."

The last born shouted.

"Uncle Praises come and eat."

Playfully I walked to them.

"What are you eating?"

"Gmax." The firstborn replied.

The rest of the children laughed.

"You mean Garri?"

"Uncle Praises this is not garri, it is GMax. A kind of snack."

I chuckled.

I told them to bring me a spoon let me join them.

They raised their head and looked at me. They were shocked.

The second born touched the last born and said.

"Go and bring spoon for Uncle. Uncle Praises wants to eat GMax snacks."

The boy ran in and returned with a spoon.

As I took a spoon, that was when I realized the Garri was not with Sugar but with salt.

The children started laughing.

I paused for a while and swallowed.

"Uncle, so you use to eat GMax snacks too." The last born asked.

I nodded my head. I told him I am a professional in Gmax garri.

Their mother who heard the laughter came out of the room and saw me. She was smiling.

"Uncle Praises, you seff the drink garri."

I told her I decided to join my younger brothers to eat.

She smiled.

"Eya. Today wey we no get better food to cook except garri, na that time you come chop."

I chuckled.

"Mummy, God know say na my favourite food na im make he make me see am to chop today."

The last born laughed.

"Uncle Praises like Gmax o."

I told her that after eating, I and my younger brothers would go out and buy noodles for breakfast.

She laughed.

The boys were excited. They began to rush the garri so it would finish quickly.

When we were done drinking Garri, I took the boys out and we bought a carton of noodles for them. 

When the mother saw her children carrying a carton into the house, she became emotional. 

She said to me.

"Uncle Praises, this is the first time I will have anything in carton in my house. See how God the take bless him children."

I handed her money that would be enough to cook two pots of soup for the week. 

The first child held my hands and said.

"Uncle, Thank you."

He beckoned on the brothers to come say thank you. 

The last child ran and embraced me.

Then he said.

"Uncle... Uncle... In the afternoon you will come and eat GMax with us again ba. We would put sugar inside for you."

I tried hard to hold back my tears.

Before you look down on that meal God has provided you to eat, remember that there are people who do not have up to that standard. Be grateful and content.

My name is Praises Chidera Obiora and I am the best at what I do.

No comments: